Friday, July 18, 2014

Colorado, Day 1

July 18, 2014 Day 79

I've always been a huge fan of air flight, and I'm sure it began when I was very little.  My father was a gate agent with Eastern Airlines at Kennedy Airport, so we flew often, and always for free.  At takeoff, when some kids are scared, I was always smiling, because my dad made the experience fun every time, demonstrating by showing me his hand take off in the air just before our plane did.

As an adult, the experience is different, but still really, really fun for me.  I'll often ask people what they see when I point upward toward a plane in the sky.  "I see a plane," they invariably reply.  "Well, yeah," I answer, "But for me, I see a hundred or more people flying through the air, watching TV, sipping cocktails or reading books."  The answer sounds snarky, but I mean it with enthusiasm.  Flying is just such a cool experience.  We're miles high in the air, flying above the clouds, while still experiencing so many of the comforts of home.

But sure, I understand the inconveniences too.  There was a crying baby nearby just before we took off before, and I couldn't help but remind myself I don't have to hear that at home.  (Andy hears me whine now and then, but he's always very well behaved himself.)  And yes, at home when I want to use the restroom, I don't have to ask the person in the aisle seat to allow me to get up.  He was nice about it, but took his time too.  Sorry, gatekeeper, but I need to use the bathroom.  It isn't personal.

The bathroom on the plane is its own fun experience.  You get in there and start to study the whole room like there will be a test later.  Okay, so where's the flusher button?  Okay, over there, right, right.  And to operate the sink I just--ahh yes, there it is.  Now where are the paper towels?  Is this them--no, that seems to be tissues.  Oh here they are below the tissues, okay cool.  Great, great.  Now, garbage, garbage.  Where would I be if I were a garbage can or slot?  Oh, there you are, cool.  It's all so different, you think they'd have the flight attendants take us through this lesson in the beginning too.

I get back to my seat, and the gatekeeper is sitting quietly, his eyes closed, and so I ask him to pass.  Once again, there's a delay before he seems to decide to allow me safe passage.  I thank him and make my way back into my seat, assuring him this should be my only interruption now for the remainder of the flight.

There are all these different elements to airplane travel, but I really don't mind the quirks and inconveniences that much, because for me, the view is worth it all.  To look down on Planet Earth from this high up is to see humanity differently.  In the plane, you can't see where one state ends and another begins.  You can't tell which people down below are rich or poor, what color their skin is, what their ethnic or cultural background is, whether they're gay, straight, bi, or trans, and certainly not who they voted for in the last presidential election.  No, from up here, all I see are the traces of roads, the developed areas where humans are settled, and the beautiful greens of Planet Earth.

Air flight has its positives and negatives, but for me, the things I love far outweigh the things I'm not crazy about.  The small drinks?  Eh.  The turbulence?  Ugh.  The popping ears, annoying people, and small amount of personal space?  Not loving it.  But the view of Earth, the ability to travel so far so fast, and the undeniable perspective of this life we're living are all priceless gifts to me.  Down on Earth, all we do is over-worry and over-analyze just about everything.  Up here, I see the world as one mass, one organism, one people.  And whether they realize it down there or not, they're all connected on that one beautiful planet.

Written earlier today on the plane ride here.  Colorado is stunning!  Many more things to share with you in the days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment