Thursday, July 24, 2014

I need a vacation from vacation

Not sunburned...just the weird glare of the computer flash. :)
July 24, 2014
Day 85

Our flight landed in New York sometime after 10 PM last night, so I got to bed by 12:30 this morning ahead of a 7:30 alarm.  I know, I have no right to complain, as so many get less sleep than this all the time.  But couple this with the time difference and the post-vacation haze, and I'm one sleepy Seanny!

Have you ever said the phrase, "I need a vacation from vacation"?  Have you ever felt this post-vacation haze, the frustrating challenge of getting back to the grindstone right away, of readjusting to so-called "normal" life?  It's rough coming back to work right after vacation!  I could have planned today and tomorrow off from work, to ease myself back, but I didn't.  I chose to save these days for another trip.  Andy, on the other hand, was smart.  He's almost definitely still in bed at home as I write this.

Colorado and Wyoming are now two time zones behind me, and though all my photos and memories of the region came back to New York with me, the beauty of that part of the country remains there.  I hope to get back, but you never know, you know? 

Maybe this is another trait of turning 40 I have to accept: the older you get, the less certain you are you'll ever get back to a certain place again.  I'm sure this feeling grows and grows as we age, but at 39, I'm only just starting to feel it.  I've vacationed all over the place, but at some point, will it be my last chance to see a place before I die?  At what point is a trip somewhere more like a farewell tour than a booze cruise? 

Well, I guess I'll let thoughts like that simmer in the far back part of my brain for now!

Today, my trip to Colorado and Wyoming is behind me.  Ahead of me, I see a weekend, various plans with friends and family over the next few weeks, and best of all, another vacation at the end of August!  But right now, I need copious amounts of coffee poured into my mouth...multiple cups at a time, if at all possible! 

I need a vacation from vacation, but I'll happily settle for a light work day followed by some extra sleep tonight if I can.  Maybe by tomorrow, I'll be a bit more ready to grab hold of that grindstone.

No comments:

Post a Comment