Saturday, June 14, 2014

Coffee is divine

June 14, 2014.          Day 45/365

Someone at my day job this past week was writing copy for a French press.  He didn't know much about coffee as he's not a drinker himself, so he asked me for my thoughts.

Unfortunately, we quickly learned I'd be of little use to him, as I like my coffee quick and simple, not pressed and... French

I was, however, the first person he thought of when the topic of coffee came up, so my reputation as an appreciator of this divine drink very happily precedes me!

I got into coffee somewhere in my late high school years, and drank it mostly while shooting pool with my friend Lex.  We always enjoyed betting on our games of pool, and though 50 cents or a dollar was our average when we bet with money, more often than not we just bought the other one a free cup of coffee.  That was Lex's idea, and he beat me more often than not.  If you ever meet Lex, you'll see he's already had enough caffeine to keep him awake until the year 2346, with no small help from me!

In college, I'd often write down cool phrases I heard from teachers, fellow monks, and fellow students, and one phrase I always loved was, "Coffee is divine," spoken by my fellow Philosophy classmate at Manhattan College, Terence Houlihan.  Equating coffee with Heaven is just the perfect analogy, as it really does make you feel so good inside and out!  And if you don't believe coffee is a gift from Heaven, might I politely remind you, God did make the Earth and all its pretty coffee beans.  So uh, yeah.  I have my answer!

(I just reached out to Terence after writing most of this little reflection.  Haven't spoken to him since 1997, so I hope he remembers me.  Though I'd bet as a fellow coffee drinker, he will.  If I hear back from him, I'll update you in a later entry.) 

I'm enjoying my first cup of coffee right now on Saturday morning as I write this.  I actually tend to drink less coffee on the weekends, probably because with each sip at work, I'm melting away the stress of the job.  At home, each sip is accompanied by the chirping of birds out my window, a soft summer breeze, and the reminder that work is no where to be seen until Monday rolls 'round again.  So on the weekends, my coffee is less a needy measure, and more a greedy pleasure. 

Anyway, drink up, lads and lasses!  Have a cup of liquid Heaven, or whatever else you choose to call it.  Tea is fine, but coffee is divine!

No comments:

Post a Comment