Saturday, June 7, 2014

What is your personal mission statement?

June 7, 2014...Day 38/365

Companies do this all the time: they create a snappy mission statement designed to both inspire their employees and impress their customers.  Sometimes they succeed with flying stars.  Other times?  Not so much. 

I spent time searching for some gems to share with you, and by gems I mean crumpled pieces of aluminum foil you might at first mistake for gems.  There were so many horrible examples of bad mission statements that just, quite frankly, made my head hurt, so I decided to not make your head hurt too.   

So what does a good mission statement include?  Well, it includes a simple statement of mission. 

Sounds simple enough, but the worst examples around the mission-statement world are those that just completely fail at their one responsibility.  To craft a mission statement, first know your "business".  Second, imagine your greatest possible future accomplishment.  Third, tell us how you're going to do it. That's it.

Got it?  Good.  Take a few minutes and think of one right now.  Make up a mission statement for your life.  Be serious, be funny, be inspirational...just be real.  Don't demean yourself or your possibilities.  Allow yourself the desire to shoot for the stars.  Your mission statement isn't a summary of your life as it is right now, just a conclusion you hope to one day achieve.  

Below is what I came up with.  I know it's very lofty, but I choose that for myself. 

I will always try my best to see goodness in all people, and see my own soul reflected in the lights and struggles of others.  I aspire to teach the whole world about the truths I have learned, and be a receptacle and messenger for the highest truth.  I will do this by writing many books and articles, essays and poems that will be read by millions of people for generations to come.

Your personal mission statement can be as simple as "I want to be the best mother for my children I can be", or "I want to open a second location for my business", or "I want to be a Broadway star". 

Be as lofty or as simple as you wish to be for yourself!  We're not in a competition with each other here; we're simply challenging our notion of our own potential.  If we accept the couch as our destination in life, the couch will be our destination in life, but if we accept something greater than we presently have, we just might get there! 

I look forward to hearing what you come up with!  Post a comment here on the blog, or just reply on Facebook or Twitter.


No comments:

Post a Comment