Sunday, June 8, 2014

Praying With The Mantises

My friend Mac sent me these pictures this past week.
A whole nest of praying mantises hatched in his garden!
June 8, 2014, Day 39 of 365.

FALSE: My mother always told me killing a praying mantis would come with a $50 fine, so we shouldn't even think of hurting them.  It's funny how that's all we kids needed to hear to respect these little creatures, especially as I've since learned there are no such laws!

TRUE:
These little creatures are great; they mostly feed on other insects, especially invasive kinds, so they're very helpful for a gardener.  And as they age and grow larger, they even go after rodents and other creatures like lizards, snakes, and small birds like hummingbirds. 

Okay, so that last part creeps me out a bit, and doesn't sound so pleasant, but for the most part, I'm told, they are good little creatures!

PREYING MANTIS: Some call them preying mantises, because of how they quietly blend into their background and remain still, only pouncing once their prey is near.

PRAYING MANTIS: Yet more people spell it praying, because of the way these insects extend their arms and look like they're kneeling in solemn prayer (personally, I don't see it). 

GOOD LUCK: One truth I've always heard is that praying mantises are good luck.  Wiki Answers tells me if one lands on your arm, you're about to meet someone important, and if one lands on your head, you yourself will be honored with some kind of recognition.  Strangely though, it doesn't tell me whether or not I'll be blessed with money if one lands on my wallet, or blessed with a new car if one lands on my car keys, but we should probably assume the rule of landing applies there too.  

Pictures are clickable for a larger size,
and just use the big X in the upper right to close again.
SEXUAL CANNIBALS: And perhaps the craziest thing about these little creatures though is how they often kill each other during sex!  Get this: "The female may begin mating by biting off the male's head...and if mating has begun, the male's movements may become even more vigorous in its delivery of sperm." 

Huh???!!!  Okay, so that officially makes these little creatures the kinkiest insects on the planet!  I don't know about all that good luck stuff, but I'm starting to understand why at least the males would like to pray so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment