Friday, June 6, 2014

Yes, I actually enjoy watching golf

June 6, 2014 
              ... Day 37 of 365

I didn't start out planning to become a golf fan.  I just sorta gave it a chance.  But the more I watched, the more I found I really enjoyed it all.  I don't think it's because I'm 39 going on 40 either.  I think I just really, really like the sport.

You've got these sadistic people, you see, who are like a quarter of a mile away from where they need their golf ball to be?  And so they swat away at the thing, and try to hit it really far.  Sometimes they nail it, pounding the little bugger right down the middle, but just as often it seems, they hit it into some mind-numbing obstacle like a tree, a bush, a huge-ass hole filled with sand, someone's head, or even a freaking lake.  From there, they still have to get it up onto the putting green where the hole is.  And it's not a huge hole like a goal or even a basketball hoop.  This thing is literally only big enough for the bloody ball to drop in.

It isn't just this crazy challenge though that makes it all so much fun to watch.  It's that you see how truly amazing these professional golfers really are!  They hit these incredible shots all the time, and it leaves all the announcers (who, by the way, are for the most part very, very funny) totally astounded by what the golfers have just done.  They shout "wow" along with you as they watch, because they know how hard this game actually is.  They know that these sadistic bastards are busting their butts in the gym every day, and practicing this game every chance they get, and their results are really paying off.

I know, I know.  No matter what I say, you still won't believe me.  You'll always just see it as a snore fest.  I understand, and I have no stakes in the business to make me really care enough to convince you, BUT I do hope you'll give it another try some time.  Especially if it's the PGA Tour.  The players there are amazing, and the announcers and TV coverage, special effects, and camerawork are all top notch. 

You're still not going to watch though, are you? 

Okay, I understand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment