Saturday, August 2, 2014

High School Reunion Part 1


August 2, 2014
             Day 94

I didn't attend my 20th high school reunion last year, because the religious brothers who run my high school have decidedly cut me off, and made me feel very unwelcome.

But that's another story for another day!

Tonight, Andy and I are attending his 20th high school reunion, and I'm actually looking forward to it!  I don't know anyone there, so I'm not worried about how much I've changed since high school, and because I don't know anyone, I also don't have to worry about measuring up to anyone else there.  As a matter of fact, I already know I'll meet people who are more successful than I am, wealthier than I am, and so on, so it's not really something I care to worry about.

High school reunions are for people to catch up with their old friends and classmates, or maybe even complete strangers they don't even remember from high school, and just gasp for a few hours about how quickly time has flown by.  It's also a chance to really listen to what people say, and pay attention to what they think about their lives, and life in general.  Give anyone some alcohol and get them to reminisce, and you'll find we can all be both poets and philosophers when we choose to be. 

For me of course, tonight is about seeing how Andy is perceived.  Will they see him as mostly the same or as very different?  Will more people remember him than who he remembers?  He's told me in recent weeks that so much of high school feels like a blur to him, and though I think I remember more about my high school years than he seems to, I also think his memories will come back the more conversations he has tonight.

Perhaps weirdest of all is that this is the Class of '94's reunion we're going to, and for me, it's also the 94th day of my year-long blog.  My birthday just happens to line up perfectly with his high school reunion day, so it makes me wonder if some other synchronicities are in store for us this evening!

Time will tell.  And I will tell... tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment