Monday, August 4, 2014

My relationship with the pope


August 4, 2014
Day 96

My relationship with the pope has changed a lot over the years, mostly because the pope himself has been different, but certainly because I've changed over the years, too.  The papacy has gone from man to man several times in my lifetime, but I've had the job of Sean Patrick Brennan nonstop now since 1975. 

In the movie Sister Act, Whoopi Goldberg's character asks Sister Mary Lazarus, "You're someone in favor of hard work and discipline, right?" to which Sister Mary Lazarus responds, "Of course--I'm a nun.  Four popes now!"  Though I only have recollections of the recent three, I've been alive for a total of five popes already.

John Paul II was the pope when I went to Rome, and he was the pope I saw when he came to America too.  I've read some of his books and encyclicals, enjoyed documentaries about him and read his poetry, and just felt very much in tune with who he was.  Of course as I got older and away from the Roman Catholic Church, at least as an active participant, I also learned to see how much a part of the establishment he was.

Benedict XVI was the pope for just under eight years, but he made an indelible mark on the papacy, most of it not good in my estimation, but his resignation was a huge moment in the Church's 2000-year history.  For anything negative I could say, the single fact that he resigned (or retired if you prefer) is H U G E.  It tells me the Roman Catholic Church is well aware of its need for lots and lots of changes, and it's a lot more clever than most people think.

I wrote about Pope Benedict XVI's resignation in an article that author Anne Rice responded to and shared with her Facebook fans.  You can find it at this link.

And Pope Francis?  He's easily my favorite pope so far.  No, he's not perfect, nor of course is Roman Catholic teaching, but he's the closest soul to Christ I've seen so far in that job, and I pray God helps him come even further on the path of Truth.  I suspect he and his brethren in the church hierarchy know a lot more than they've told us, and his papacy is one they were planning for many years.  (And I suppose the Holy Spirit helped out a bit, too!)

I also spent a lot of time writing about a fictional pope (Pope Thomas) in my book, The Papal Visitor, so if you're even just a little interested in a fictional tale about what might go on at the Vatican, I hope you'll consider giving it a read.  And as always, I thank you very much for all your support!

Your holeyness,
Poop Sean

No comments:

Post a Comment