Friday, August 1, 2014

The Aging Prayer


August 1, 2014
             Day 93

Dear God, above all else, I thank you. 

I thank you for all the many parts of my body and my brain that are still working great.  I thank you for every bone in my body that is not broken right now, and I thank you for every part of my body that's in good health at the moment.

And for the parts of me that aren't doing as well as I'd like, I pray for patience and peace.  I know I cannot make myself healthy in an instant, try as I may!, but I can choose to focus my attention as best I can on all my health and happiness.  I choose to do all I can to think on my health and not my unhealth.  I pray my patience holds out, that the peace of mind and body I continually strive to achieve will be mine often and always.

I want to thank you, God, for all the nurses, doctors, and other healthcare professionals I've known in my life so far, and all of those who may come into my life in the future.  I pray you watch over and care for them as they have cared for me and so many others.  I pray they think of all the right things when they treat me, and I pray they recognize all the right signs anytime anything's uncertain.

Dear God, I do an awful lot of complaining.  You know this about me, don't you?  I complain about all my aches and pains, and all my ouches and eeks.  But I pray I might remember more often that things could be worse, and things could even be worse than that.  And even once the day arrives when my worser-than-thats are more frequent than my healthier stats, I pray I might still remember all of the health and good feelings I've had in this incredible life.

Yes God, it's true.  You haven't heard the last of me or my complaints.  I've still got many more to both holler and whisper your way again soon!  Even so, I pray I remember all my healthy parts and all my healthy days.  And above all else, God, I thank you.  And I thank you.  And I thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment