Friday, August 29, 2014

Vermont Vacation Musings

August 29, 2014
Day 121

I've been having a very nice time here so far, and still have another three days left.  Each morning, I'm up around 7 or 8 AM, I come downstairs and have my coffee and try to go online briefly (if the internet decides to work), and eventually have some breakfast and write this blog.

By 10 or 11 AM, I shave and shower, and get dressed for the day's activities.  Each day brings a new schedule or non-schedule, as the case may be.  I may find myself fishing, or playing a game of ladderball, or sometimes just writing.  Other times, we go off on little trips to nearby towns or activity spots in Central Vermont.  Weston was our first jaunt like this, and I went to the Vermont Country Store, the Christmas Store, and the little marketplace to buy some fresh fudge (in both Maple flavor and Carrot Cake flavor ...yum!!!).

Yesterday, a few of us went to the VINS bird sanctuary and the Quechee Gorge.  Today, we may go to the Okemo Mountain Adventure Zone to enjoy some miniature golf and the mountain coaster there (a small, easy roller coaster that winds down the mountain side, and you control the speed).  And this weekend I'll also hit up the top of Killington Mountain, where I pay for an enclosed gondola ride up to the top, then walk around a bit taking photos of the majestic views.

And in between all of this, there's more fishing and lots of relaxation by the lake.  I read, write, take photos, and just absorb the beauty of nature as best I can.

We plan our breakfast, lunch, and dinner on the fly most often, but I've already enjoyed some delicious meals courtesy of my sister-in-law Tricia and my brother Billy, as well as my sister Marilyn and her girlfriend Annie.  Aunt Jane and I haven't cooked, but especially in my case, that's probably a good thing.  I can boil and fry, but my culinary skills (of those I have) are sadly rare these days.

Bedtime is usually 11 or 12 each night, and is always preceded by stargazing.  Thousands of stars can be seen in the sky up here, so it's a really special treat looking up and seeing them all.  Amid the stars, I see planets, shooting stars, and satellites circling the Earth.  I even once saw the space station while I was up here, but haven't spotted it yet on this trip.

My Vermont vacations are always full, but filled with lots of quiet emptiness as well.  It's a special week or so I take every year to recharge my brain and body, and it's a very welcome transition trip between summer and fall.

Anyway, thanks as always for reading along, and I hope you'll keep "tuning in" for more of my daily musings from Vermont, as well as all my other destinations in the next eight months ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment