Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Courtroom Drama

October 22, 2014
Day 175

If there's one part of this experience serving on a jury that's taken me by surprise more than anything else, it's the actual unsurprising fact of it all.  Here's what I mean...

On the first day, you're sitting in a large room with hundreds of other citizens called upon to do their civic duty too, and 98.5% of us are thinking how much we hate being there.  Once we get picked as possible jurors for a trial, we're brought to another part of the building, and into a courtroom.  And that's when it begins to happen.

A minute earlier, you were annoyed and frustrated, praying to God you don't get picked, when all of a sudden, a very real judge, and some very real lawyers are staring at you as you walk into their very real, very serious court situation.

Once I was selected as juror #2, I didn't know what exactly I'd experience, but I decided I'd be ready for whatever.  I knew what the case was roughly about, and knew I'd do my best to be a very capable, very worthy juror, but on Day 1 of the actual trial, a brand new revelation came to me all of a sudden.  I was sitting in the jurors' box thinking for a moment that I was watching a really cool movie play out, when suddenly I realized I was in this movie!  The drama happening in front of me was completely surrounding me as well, fellow performers in the movie were lined up beside and behind me too!  The courtroom drama is no fictional affair.  It's all too real, and all happening in HD.

I've only been a juror in this case for just over 2 trial days now, and I still can't talk about the case I'm watching, but I can tell you it's got all the drama of a prime-time television show.  Part of me wishes you could watch this along with me, but I promise to give some general details (no names) once it's over.  I honestly have no idea how this film will end, so for now, I'm just sad there's no popcorn allowed inside the theater!

No comments:

Post a Comment