Wednesday, October 1, 2014

My life as a teacher

October 1, 2014
Day 154

This evening, I have a wonderful opportunity to speak to two different classes at Nassau Community College here on Long Island.  Specifically, I'll be talking with them about my writing, and how I formulate plots, scenes, twists, and characters in my stories. 

My good friend Bill teaches these classes on reading comprehension, and he helps young men and women who are trying to improve their skills as readers and writers, to help them succeed more in college, as well as the workplace.

So...I'll basically show them what it's like fashioning a story or stories as a writer, so that when they go back to their reading, they'll have a greater appreciation (I hope) for what kind of hard work the author put into it to reach the end product. 

I've never done this kind of thing before, but I have been a teacher before.

As a junior and senior in high school, I taught religious education classes to 4th graders at a local school every Wednesday.  The curriculum included the Ten Commandments, the Beatitudes, and...well, a lot more that's now escaped me!  And it was fun!  I came up with lots of interesting techniques and memorization tricks to teach them, like drawing a heart on the chalkboard with eyes in the middle (Blessed are the pure of heart, for they shall see God).

There's something to be said for how much I enjoy teaching through my writing too.  While some of my friends may quietly think I preach too much, I do see myself as a teacher in many ways.  I enjoy reflecting on various topics in my daily blogs here, and my books are a tremendous opportunity for me to tap into major issues, and really big ideas.

So tonight, I get to address two classes of students who are forced to listen to me!  (Insert evil laugh here.)  Honestly, I expect to learn as much from them as they do from me.  I hope to hear what kind of things they expect and enjoy when reading a book, and I'll listen very carefully to all of their comments and opinions.  I fully expect to have an absolutely awesome time with it, too!  : )

Stay tuned.  I'll update you tomorrow on how it all went!

No comments:

Post a Comment