Thursday, October 9, 2014

Floored by Reality

October 9, 2014
Day 162

Every day here at work, I walk from my little office on the first floor across our showroom, through three more doors, and then up three flights of stairs to the fourth floor.  I walk down a fairly long hallway after that, pick up and drop off work, then repeat the process in reverse. 

I do this four or five times each day, sometimes more, and though I'm quite used to it, the climb never ceases to tire me out, even if just a little.  No matter how much I work out and lose weight, by the time I reach the Art Department on the 4th Floor, I have to catch my breath.

It's always really cool when I climb these stairs almost absentmindedly at times, and I realize I'm already at the 4th floor, when I thought I was still only arriving at the 3rd.

Conversely, it's frustrating and annoying when I think I've finally reached my destination, only to realize I still have one more flight to go!

And it makes me think.  How often do I think I've gotten where I need to be in any given life situation, only to be reminded I've got more walking still ahead of me?  It can truly suck to realize your hard work and determination still isn't enough, that you have a longer journey still to go.  Just when you think you've finally found peace in a relationship, career, home, or other situation, the rug is pulled out from under you, and you stumble to realize you have more work still to do.

Thankfully in life, we also have those moments when we suddenly realize we've made it, that our dreams of some kind have finally been realized.  You wake up one day and say to yourself, "You know what?  I've got a good life!  No, I still don't have x, y, or z, or feel great about situation a, b, or c, but I sure am I happy to have letters d through w in my life!" 

Sometimes you reach the 4th Floor sooner than expected, and it was usually because you weren't focusing so much on the work involved with every little step, or the breathlessness of the struggle, but instead just trusted in the promise of the destination, enjoying the journey the whole way up.

1 comment:

  1. Good Day Mr. Brennan, Your words touch so many of us when we think we are finally 'there' and then see that we have so much more to go. lol.. For me, I will always want more. It's the journey, the climb, the desire that stimulates and gives reason for me to move forward. I love life. I am satisfied with each and every moment....truly I am! I am also very clear that as long as I am living this human experience, I will continue to want and climb. It's the glory of the journey.

    Enjoy this day,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete