Monday, October 20, 2014

I am Juror #2


October, 20, 2014
Day 173

I guess I had this coming.  After all, I did send nothing but fear and dread out into the universe, not to mention a fair share of psychic messages to several people saying, don't pick me!

Perhaps it's divine justice that for the first time in my life, I'm now serving on a jury.  Maybe it is, as my cousin Jane told me, good fodder for my blog.  And maybe, just maybe, it's one of those life experiences that was destined to come my way during my 40th year of life on earth.  Or it could just be bad luck, I don't know.

I can't tell you what the case is about, so I'll just let you know how my day went overall.  Correction: I'll just tell you how my extra-long day went overall.

It started in a large room filled with comfortable chairs.  It felt a bit like the DMV with all the waiting we had to do at first, but very quickly, it turned into something from Nat Geo Wild.  With just a few words ("Listen as I call your names"), we all felt like elk out in a meadow, with lions beginning to circle.  I hoped the lions would grab the slow elk on the outside first, so I kept my head down and tried to blend in.  Be smart, Elk Sean, be smart!

The first herd was taken away from us by lions, and we all breathed a little easier.  Just minutes later, a second herd was taken away by more lions, and our numbers were thinned out big time.  It was harder to hide now!  Maybe I'm safe, I thought.  And that's when the last pack of lions came for me.  I was taken to the lion's den, a courtroom elsewhere in the building.

From around 10:00 AM until 4:00 PM, the lions didn't touch me.  They pawed me a bit with questions, but none took off my flesh.  Sometime soon after though, all bets were off, and I was officially chosen to be part of the main meal.  Shit!

My Jury Duty will continue for the rest of this week, and the lions may want me back next week too.

More to come, my fellow Elk, so stay tuned...and stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment