Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Things I've learned at jury duty

October 21, 2014
Day 174

Between all the trial hours and testimony time, your mind wanders now and then.  I mean, of course I'm paying very close attention when the trial itself is taking place, but in the time before we enter the courtroom, during the breaks, and just to and from Brooklyn, some realizations have materialized.

Here are just a few...

Approximately 1.5% of the U.S. population actually enjoys being called to Jury Duty.  Please identify yourself to me, and help me understand why?

Being packed into a NYC subway car like sardines in a can will instantly make you feel less spiritual.

There are A LOT of people out there.  Stick close to the ones you know are good for you, and don't feel guilty about avoiding the rest.

Jury Duty sucks, but it's not the end of the world, and certainly not anything worth being afraid of.  The commute though?  Yeah, that part is a nightmare.  Instead of my usual short commute on Long Island, this one requires a car ride, two LIRR train rides, a subway ride, a four-block walk, a security check where we surrender our phones, and then a trip to the jury room.  Then there's the actual trial time before you repeat the process all over again going home.

The view of the Brooklyn Bridge and downtown Manhattan (including the new World Trade Center building) is gorgeous from this part of Brooklyn.  Too bad I can't bring any recording devices with me...but I'll try to take some pics with my phone at the start or end of the day.

Like being stuck in an elevator, conversation avoids the trial itself by decree, but all other polite topics are in play.  Still, it's pretty weird not being able to discuss the trial, even with each other.  It's like we've all just come in from a torrential downpour, and can't talk about the weather as we look around at each other in the lobby.

And finally (for now), being Juror #2 has one very cool benefit.  I'm always the second person to leave the courtroom, which means I'm always first to one of the two jurors' bathrooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment