Friday, October 10, 2014

My Sweet Addiction


October 10, 2014
Day 163

A few weeks ago, Andy finally got me to quit diet soda and artificial sweeteners.  It'd been his goal for quite some time, and he's now succeeded.  My return to real sugar is much like a return to Jesus: as much as artificiality worked for a time, I'm happy to let sugar back into my life.

As a writer, I'm tempted to go on a riff now about how much I enjoy sweet people and sweet things too, but rather than cause my readers to yawn with non-excitement, I think I'll just stick to the facts: I have a major sweet tooth, so baby, bring on the sugar--all of it!

Chocolate chip cookies, brownies, ice cream, Halloween candy, even extra sugar in my coffee: I love it all!!!  And I want it all!!!  All the time!!!

Does that make me addicted?  Just because I neeeeeeeeeeed it so badly?

Okay, maybe.  Or, you know, probably.  But it's an addiction I'm managing!  Weight loss goals being as they are, I don't indulge often, pretty rarely actually, and I use just two packets of sugar in my coffee now, which trust me is a huge departure from the two packets of sweet and low or equal I previously used.  No more diet soda, so I don't let artificial sweeteners in my body that way either.

So yes, I may have a slight, tiny, insignificant little sugar addiction, but I'm managing it.  I'm not the type to claim Jesus as my Lord and Savior, but I'm happy to let sugar back into my life as my poured in flavor.  And honestly?  I think Jesus would be happy for me!  He might even join me for a cup of coffee some time.  Or maybe tea?  Oprah Chai for two, please!

No comments:

Post a Comment