Monday, October 27, 2014

The Dating Game

(click for larger)
October 27, 2014
Day 180

When I first began meeting guys for dates (always through online dating sites), I didn't think I'd ever meet someone I'd fall in love with.  It just felt more and more like an impossibility the longer I searched, and the types of guys I met in those early days were far from my dream type.

Even the ones I was really attracted to didn't have the substance behind them I wanted, the kind of real personality I knew my dream partner would have.  Some had the personality but not the looks, and most had the looks, but not the personality I wanted.  On some occasions, I'd have amazing dates, only to find out later that what I thought was an awesome first date was his version of a one-time thing.  Part of me wanted to scream out in anger and frustration, but another part of me just sighed in defeat.  I made a point early on when this began happening to start clarifying my purpose.

Any potential dates needed to know up front what I was searching for, and they needed to be clear with me about what they wanted as well.  I didn't fault or judge those who wanted fun more than something real, but I demanded their honesty about said fact.  In some cases, I had some fun anyway.  In other cases, the kind of fun they wanted was something too same-day or short-lasting, so I turned them away right from the first conversation.

The dating game was, for me at least, a law of averages.  I knew going in that I wouldn't meet my Prince Charming right off the bat, but I also knew I had to keep putting myself out there, talking to guys online, and meeting them for dinners and walks, drinks and talks.  Sooner or later, I believed, someone special would just show up one day, and I'd know without a shadow of a doubt that he would be the love of my life.  I just knew it.

Now, I can't tell you how many guys I met before that day came, but I know I didn't give up hope, and I don't believe you should either.  If you're reading this, and have yet to find true love, I hope and pray you're still looking.  There's nothing at all wrong with being single, and for some people, maybe being single is what you truly desire.  If so, awesome!  But for those who want a someone special in their life, keep looking.  Your prince or princess is probably still out there, and looking for you too.  They won't find you if you keep yourself hidden, so keep your eyes and your mind open.  The dating game can be cruel and torturous at times, but it's a game worth playing.  Most of all, it's a game you can win.

No comments:

Post a Comment