Saturday, December 20, 2014

Better To Give

December 20, 2014
Day 234

I remember those days so well, the every-other-year Christmases at my house, when I'd look out the window like an eager puppy waiting for his owner to come home.  As each new car pulled up outside or parked down the block opposite our house, I'd yell out to my household that Aunt so-and-so or sibling so-and-so had arrived. 

But I wouldn't just watch for them.  I'd watch for how many presents they carried into the house too!  As each new car-full of people arrived--and there were many--I'd look to see how many trips they made back and forth from the car to the house.  At least one present from each person would be for me, I knew, so I was more than happy to help them bring them in and put them under the tree!

I don't know what year this all changed, but it may not have been until I was in my 20s some time when it did.  At some point though, a Christmas arrived in which I was a buyer myself, getting presents for everyone, and when this happened, something else magically occurred: I stopped thinking about what I'd receive.  I didn't even remember I was due to get presents, in fact, because I was so concerned with making sure I had enough gifts for all the people on my list. 

This has been the case now each and every year since.  I buy a bunch of presents, and always forget about the fact that my loved ones are buying gifts for me as well.  And it's awesome!  There really is something so wonderful once you cross this point in life, once you realize that Christmas is about giving, and not receiving. 

My house isn't big enough to host my whole family for Christmas, so I always go to my brother's each year now.  He and my sister-in-law open their home to our crazy-huge family, which is always very much appreciated!  And I love that as Andy and I arrive with our bags or boxes filled with gifts, the children all watch to see how much loot we bring in, knowing that some of those precious gifts will be all for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment