Friday, December 19, 2014

My Better Tomorrow


December 19, 2014
Day 233

The Ghost of Christmas Future stares at me emotionless, and watches me writhe in pain.  With every tear I cry, he does nothing.  Just when I'm about to charge at him, he pushes his bony arm straight through me, and I feel all the truth of his message, all the possibility.

I gaze up into his cold, heartless gaze, and suddenly see a candle flame flickering slow and steady.  The more I stare, the more the darkness fades away, until I see the candlelight softly shining in a bright new room.  Christmas has arrived, and I'm still here to enjoy it!

Every year at this time, I watch a bunch of Christmas movies, including Scrooged, It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, and more.  The one theme they all seem to have is that when they end, you believe the main characters have either turned their lives around or made the world a better place to live in.  I cry at the end of each one, and feel so happy I could jump for joy!

For the first time in many years, I re-read A Christmas Carol this past week.  It's a short book, a novella really, and you can buy it for free on Kindle at this link.  At the end of the story, after Ebenezer has been visited by his three ghosts, he exclaims, "I will live in the Past, the Present, and the Future.  The Spirits of all Three shall strive within me."  And really, that's what every Christmas is about.  We share and listen to stories about Christmases past, we bask in the beauty of the day and the moment here in the present, and we exchange gifts to make each other's futures a bit brighter. 

I still have five more blog days left before Christmas, but I'll say it now anyway.  Thank you for reading along with my random musings here, and Merry Christmas!  For those not feeling merry, I pray something changes in you soon.  I honor and respect your sadness or misery, but I so want you to be happy too.  More than that, I want you to have reason to be happy. 

Enjoy these last few days of pre-Christmas prep, everyone!  And oh yeah: God bless us, every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment