Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Anyone Enneagram?

September 16, 2014
Day 139

The Enneagram (pronounced any-a-gram) can be traced back to the ancient Sufis, but most of what we practice today is still only about 40 years old, so if you haven't heard of it yet, please allow me to teach you!

Enneagram literally means chart of nine, and it's a personality system based on nine different types of people.  I've been studying it for over 20 years now, and it's really helped me understand not just myself, but how others tick too.  Most importantly, the Enneagram reminds us we cannot judge others for simply being who they already are.

So today, I'm just going to give you a very quick run-through of each of the nine numbers.  Then in future blog entries, I'll guide you a bit more through each of the types, and go more into depth about each of them.  Sound good?  Okay, here you go:

1 - The perfectionist/reformer, forward 7, backward 4
     I appreciate order and cleanliness, and I'm known for being a perfectionist in all things.

2 - The helper/giver, forward 4, backward 8
     I like to be liked, so I'm often seeking attention and love through service to others.

3 - The actor/motivator, forward 6, backward 9
     Life is a competition, and I like being center stage, and always on top of my game.

4 - The artist/romantic, forward 1, backward 2
     I appreciate the beauty in things.  Fine wine, amazing art, even visceral sadness.

5 - The silent observer/thinker, forward 8, backward 7
     At a party, I always enjoy quietly watching others, and learning everything I can!

6 - The loyalist/questioner, forward 9, backward 3
     What did they say we were doing next?  I'm a team player, and I'm happy to serve.

7 - The enthusiast/stimulation seeker, forward 5, backward 1
     Let's have a party, and make it big!  I enjoy life, and resist over-thinking things too much.

8 - The leader/controller, forward 2, backward 5
     Hear ye, hear ye, this meeting is now in session.  I'm the leader, and don't you forget it!

9 - The peacemaker/mediator, forward 3, backward 6
     Let's just relax.  Why do you worry so much?  Hey, did someone say it's bedtime?  Yay!

That's it for now, just a starter! 

But wait!  What's all that about forward and backward?  Well, I'll get into more of what each number means and how they interact with other people of other types in future blog installments, but the short answer for now is, each of us exhibits positive attributes of one other number on the Enneagram when we're at our best (forward), and we also exhibit the attributes of one other number when we're at our most stressed (backward).  Much more on this later though!  Stay tuned! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment