Saturday, September 13, 2014

My (technologically) challenged life


September 13, 2014
Day 136

I've got to begin this with a sad confession.  When cell phones first started arriving, I knew right away that I was missing out, but I also knew I wasn't going to catch up to everyone else right away.  So what did I do?  I took an old remote control, and stuck it in the fancy side pouch in my bag, specifically designed to hold your cell phone.  No one could tell what I had in there, so I just went with it.

It wasn't that I didn't want to have a real cell phone, I just didn't know how to go about getting one, and I felt ashamed to admit even this fact. 

My technological unprowess has always been years behind everyone else I know, and cell phones?  They're just the most recent example of my ineptitude.

I've never owned an iPod, and the closest I ever came to anything better than a discman or walkman was what I called a fake-a-pod music player I owned briefly.  It was a no-name brand, and had extremely no-name-like features too.  I couldn't search for a song, or even see what song was about to play.  I could only click "next" a bunch of times if I wanted to reach the twentieth song available to me.  If I ever got up to 40 songs on that thing, I'd be amazed, but I doubt I ever listened to any of the songs past 30 anyway.  It was just too much work!

Phones and portable music-playing devices aside, the technological idiot I am is still years behind everyone else in other areas too.  DVR, Netflix, XM, iPad...hell, even surround sound!  You name it, and I don't got it!

But how much do these sad facts keep me up at night?  Not at all!

I've finally got a phone that lets me connect to the Internet, even if it's still not good enough to connect to places like Instagram.  ("But I've got a smart phone," I complained to a younger friend.  "It's not smart enough," he assured me sympathetically.)  I do have a huge 55" TV at home, and get this: a working GPS for my car.  Uh-huh.  Oh, you heard that right.  GPS, baby!

So okay, yeah, I still have a 2005-model PC at home, no CD player in my car, and I've yet to really look into this new blue-tooth technology I keep hearing about, but I'm okay with all that.  I'll live.  I may be slightly technologically challenged, but me and my Nintendo Entertainment System?  We're doing just fine, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment