Monday, February 9, 2015

Adventures In Babysitting

February 9, 2015
Day 285

Two doors down from me growing up, a young couple moved in with twin boys.  Because their house connected to mine through a mutual neighbor's driveway, I eventually became their friend and babysitter.  They were maybe six years my junior, I can't remember, but they had a nice house and lots of video games to play, so we all got along well.

Across the street in one direction was the mayor of our town, whose grandchildren lived two blocks away, on the same block as two other children, all of whom I babysat for on many occasions.  And in yet another direction from my house, two more kids needed a babysitter whenever their grandmother wasn't able to step in.  In total, I watched 8 different kids for several years during high school.

I enjoyed the experience, mostly because none of the kids were a pain for the most part, though they did have their moments.  I also felt very close to their ages too, so it was more like a big brother relationship usually, the type of job you get paid to do, but don't really feel as if you've worked at all.

Once I graduated high school and entered the religious life, I pretty much lost touch with the various families, but I do miss them all very much, even after all these years.  Babysitting had its share of adventures and stresses, but for the most part, it was just filled with lots of time in front of the television.  And for that kind of work, I certainly appreciated every dollar very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment