Sunday, February 8, 2015

Matilda and Les Mis on Broadway

February 8, 2015
Day 284

Yesterday I saw two great Broadway shows I'd been wanting to see very much: Les Mis and Matilda.  We saw Les Mis at night, but caught the matinee of Matilda, which worked perfectly, because there were lots of kids in the audience, providing that extra impact (you know the kind of energetic giggling I mean?).  But if you don't mind, I'll go in reverse order.

Les Mis was wonderful, and it really is so much about the amazing songs and amazing voices.  There's honestly nothing you can say against the show regarding its words or music.  That said, I did feel the production fell flat in some ways.  It wasn't the performers themselves so much as the direction.  It just lacked that extra oomph they absolutely needed.  The choices were just slightly off, if you know what I mean, as if they could have just placed a performer in a different place, or had him raise his weapon in a less overly dramatic fashion?  If you go, you'll love it, but you might also see what I mean.  Solid B+ show, just not the A it could have been.

Matilda, on the other hand, was a revelation.  Though there were some parts in the beginning where the singing and music were so loud you couldn't understand a lot of the British accents being sung (for an American audience), the rest was an absolute joy!  The show was far more magical than I ever would have guessed, and though there is some magic, of a kind, in the show, I instead mean the way it tells its story, the way it makes you feel.  There were some points in Matilda where I just started crying because I was so happy to be witnessing something so beautiful, and by the show's final number, the emotional buildup was so great, it took all of my self-control to stop myself from bawling the happiest tears ever!  Now that, my friends, is good theatre, and well worth the A+ grade I give it!  You better believe I'll be seeing this show again and again...and again and again too!

No comments:

Post a Comment