Monday, February 16, 2015

My Current TV Favorites

February 16, 2015
Day 292

It'll be fun to look back on this list one day, when all these shows are long gone, but for now, I'm VERY happy to have them all!

So here's my current lineup of favorite shows, along with a few reasons why I love them...

Once Upon A Time
Though the show has had its occasional silly CGI moments, they've thankfully been rare, and the magic and storytelling of this incredible series has impressed me over and over again.  Where else can you watch Cinderella doing laundry while pregnant, Captain Hook try to woo Snow White's daughter into a steamy affair, and laugh as Little Red Riding Hood wipes the blood from her mouth?  Though I only own the first season on Blu-Ray, I'm sure it'll eventually be a favorite of mine forever, one I'll want to watch Time and Time again!

Downton Abbey
Everyone told us to watch this, but we fell behind.  Finally, Christmas 2013 came and Andy got us seasons one through three on DVD.  We had a marathon watching of it, just in time for the fourth season last year, and we're happily hooked!  The way Julian Fellowes has weaved the various storylines through each other is truly a masterpiece of storytelling.  He's got so many stories going all the time, and yet he brilliantly keeps them all interesting and engaging.  Awesome show!

Gotham
We're about three-quarters of the way through the first season now, and season two has already been green-lighted, so if you haven't watched this show yet, you really should.  Even if you're only a kinda-sorta fan, you'll be blown away at the Gotham universe they're creating and building on here.  We start off with the all too familiar scene, amazingly re-shot and re-told, of Bruce Wayne walking along with his parents before they're shot dead, but instead of jumping forward years later, all the action stays right there in the present.  We see how Jim Gordon rises up in the corrupt Gotham City Police Department, how the Penguin, Poison Ivy, and Cat Woman all rise to power, and so many more awesome characters do too.  Violent at times, but only to make it so real and true, Gotham is must-see TV at its finest!

Resurrection
This show teased us at the start, and no one knew if it would be a science-fiction show or a religious one, yet the show's title and its church angle told me my bet was right, and I've recently been proven correct.  It builds slowly through the first few episodes, but by mid-season, it starts rewarding you with jaw-dropping revelations and fantastic, otherwise-impossible events that literally make you sit up straight in shock.  Such a cool show with such a daring premise, and as I'd hate to ruin it for you, I hope you'll trust me on this one: it's absolutely epic!

Fresh Off The Boat
We love this new show!  Now only four episodes in as I write this, it's a comedy about a young Chinese family in 1995 who move from city life in Washington, D.C. to a mostly all-white suburbia in Orlando, Florida.  The show walks a fine line between stereotyping and being faithful, but for the most part, it's very faithful to the facts.  Andy and I see many similarities between the show and his mother's side of the family already, and we're both hysterical at some of the lines.  Check it out!

Glee
I love the show, I do, but the frenetic schizophrenia of the last two seasons has been irritating.  They all graduated high school and went off to an amazing new life in New York while the show artfully balanced itself with new characters back at William McKinley High School.  Then something in creator Ryan Murphy's brain broke, it seems, and all hell broke loose along with it.  He began spreading himself too thin with American Horror Story too, so all the characters we came to love--even the new ones just introduced, fell apart.  They fast forwarded the action six months, Rachel quit her Broadway show that everything in her life had always been building toward, then she went to Los Angeles to try a TV show, but within an episode or two, that fell apart too, and now they're all back in freaking Lima, Ohio doing God knows what as the clock ticks closer and closer to the end.  Why do I care so much?  Because I loved this show, and still do, and I hate that so much of the bones of its brilliance crumbled beneath the weight of its creators' madness.  Still very much must-see TV, and they're still doing amazing stories and songs, but it's also really a mess.

How To Get Away With Murder
This show is absolutely amazing, and the ONLY reason it falls at the very bottom of my list of favorites is that I'm almost definitely dropping it after season one's conclusion.  Why?  Because it's just not my type of show at all.  I love Viola Davis, and have heard nothing but great things about ShondaLand shows, plus the show's title and concept pulled me in, but no, I can't do it.  I highly recommend the show to everyone who can, as it's one of the best shows on TV today.  It deserves a bucket load of Emmy Awards and all the praise it can get on all the award shows, but it's just not for me.  I love how good it is, but I hate how stressed and tense it makes me feel.  I'm a wuss with those things though, so you should check it out!

***

I think I'd rank them the way I've listed them here, too, except I'd have the first three in a tie for first place, the second two in a tie for second place, and then Glee and How To Get Away With Murder tied for third place. 

How about you?  Leave me a comment about what your favorite TV shows are!

***

No comments:

Post a Comment