Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Election Daze


November 4, 2014
Day 188

Today is Election Day in the United States, and I can't help but think about some of the many memorable Election Day moments I've had in my life.  There was the time I convinced by mom to vote for Ralph Nader, the time a volunteer read my private paper ballot before reluctantly putting it in the machine for me, and most memorably, the time I foolishly announced I'd voted for Bill Clinton ...while living in a conservative Roman Catholic monastery.  Yeah, didn't go so well for me!

Most of my memories of Election Days past involve time I've waited on line.  It's usually only a short line, maybe 10 people, and the wait is always the same.  You watch what others are doing up ahead, so you can go as quickly as possible once it's time.  The machines were much easier than the paper ballots we use here now, but neither system has been perfect, so I ought to be sympathetic to those who struggle.  I ought to.

I'm fairly quick on the uptake, but without fail, there's always someone who acts like they've never had to do this before in their life.  "So I close the curtain before I vote?"  These are the ones who feel trapped in the booth later on, not understanding the same big lever that closed the curtains will also open them up when they turn it the other way...you know, because they've never had to operate a light switch before.  I'm a little more sympathetic to the ones who don't understand the paper ballot system, because I've had some minor questions at times too, but once you're told the machine will take your ballot no matter which way it's facing, it's hard to understand how people still mess that up.

Honestly though, for all the judgments I pass, I just pray my friends and family have at least gone to their local polling place to vote.  Whether or not we agree on the candidates up for election, there's an incredible responsibility in being the ones who decide who gets elected.  Forget all the hoopla about the Electoral College and the Popular Vote.  Focus only on the fact that your vote does matter very, very much!  Just as when you serve on a jury, when your 1/12 vote might not feel too important, it is absolutely everything.  So whether you read this on Election Day in the United States, or on any other day in any other country (North Koreans disregard), please do your civic service, and vote for the candidate you think will do the best job she can for the country or county you live in!

No comments:

Post a Comment