Thursday, November 6, 2014

NaNo No Problem!

November 6, 2014
Day 190

Today is Day 6 of NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), so I wanted to write a quick update on how I'm doing so far.

The goal is to write 50,000 words of a new novel in just 30 days.  To do that, you've got to write 1,666 words per day.  (There's something very devilish about this number, and can scare you at first, but I've already conquered the system pretty well.)

In fact, after just 5 days (I haven't started yet today), I've written 12,240 words, which means my average has been 2,448 words per day, or 782 words over the average needed.  At that rate, I'll reach my goal in just 20 days' time.  Not bad!

Here's the thing, though.  I know I'll be away for at least three of those days, and that doesn't count Thanksgiving or other busy days between now and then.  So I think that even though I'm well ahead of the game now, so far, I can't rest until I'm done.  This fun challenge has only just begun, and I need to keep pressing on at the best rate I can, just in case.

I think I'm doing pretty damn well so far, and I am!  But just because I've gotten off to a great start doesn't mean I don't still have 37,760 words still left to write!

The novel itself?  It's been really fun to work on.  I don't want to give away too much, but I'll happily share the already-public excerpt I've put up on the NaNoWriMo website:

Particular friendships in the monastery were frowned upon, the term itself a euphemism for anything even remotely crossing the line of friendship into something more.  Cody’s eyes were wide open now as he strained to hear what they were saying, but there was only silence.  Maybe they left again already?  But then he heard it: something he didn’t think in a million years he’d ever hear inside a monastery.  In between a slight rustling of clothes in the hallway, Cody heard the unmistakable sound of a soft, gentle kiss.

Stay tuned!  More updates to come throughout the month!

No comments:

Post a Comment