Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Blizzard Day 2


January 27, 2015
Day 272

The one thought that's now abundantly clear: there will not be a Blizzard Day 3 in my area.  We seem to have missed the worst of it, and for that, I'm very grateful.

My octogenarian neighbor across the street, recently widowed, was out on her front stoop yesterday afternoon sweeping the snow away, and grumbling just loud enough so we'd all hear her.  I guess the polite thing to do was to go over there and help her, but I was more inclined to shout from my window that she was an insane maniac who should go back inside.  Neither happened, but I was happy to see her retreat indoors after only a few minutes in the cold (I did keep an eye on her).

Once we had a few inches on the ground yesterday--and I'm talking early on, by 3 PM--some of my neighbors began shoveling their walks.  I had an amazing mix of emotions at this: pure hatred at them for being so responsible, coupled with a deep fear they'd mock us once we started shoveling some time in June.  
 
(Andy went out around 11 last night, and did a great job clearing away most of what we had by that point!)

Last night, satisfied to be indoors while the blizzard raged on, we drank delicious Cherry Pie pinot noir, watched Downton Abbey and Vicious, ate biscuits and chocolates, and then retired relatively early on to a good night's sleep.

The blizzard didn't hit us too bad here at all, so we count ourselves lucky.  For many others in eastern Long Island and up in New England, their fate is worse.  We raise a glass to them, and to all their feet of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment