Saturday, January 31, 2015

This Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb World

January 31, 2015
Day 276

I really don't know where to begin, but I suppose I should start with the news I heard just yesterday that gave me the idea for this blog entry.  The Super Bowl, long known for its use of Roman numerals, has declared that next year, instead of having Super Bowl L, we'll all have Super Bowl 50, officially ending the tradition.  There's no clear reason why, but it seems they think L is just not sexy enough for their advertising.

There's a new TV show on before GLEE called World's Funniest Fails.  The videos are all examples of people having hilarious or painful fails, and a few of them--from the little I've seen--are very funny.  My problem is, there seems to be a very obvious laugh track on there, as well as several planted fake audience members.  On one occasion, the sound I heard was an audience laughing raucously, but the visual was of people clapping politely, and behind them, there were rows of empty seats.  I even saw a woman looking at her cell phone!  Laugh tracks have always been stupid, but they've worked for the most part.  This show though?  It's as fake as fake TV gets.

There's a brewing feud between Katy Perry and Taylor Swift, or so we're told.  Andy's theory is that we've only been made to believe there's a feud between them so that when Taylor Swift shows up as a surprise musical guest with Katy on stage at the Super Bowl, it'll be like this incredible makeup moment on live TV.  I really hope that's not what transpires, but Andy's guess is a very good one anyway, and fits right in with the dumbing down of our already dumb world.

I'm not going to touch on politics exactly, but more people seriously need to start actually investigating the news stories they share on Facebook.  I see so many fake facts passed around, so many angry rants, so many completely idiotic, non-factual venting sessions, it makes my brain hurt.  I don't care if you're a Republican or a Democrat.  Cross-check your information before sharing it!  Don't believe a story just because you heard it on your favorite news station either!

And finally, I got into a slightly heated discussion with a friend last year over Creationism.  He believed the world is only 6,000 years old, because his pastor told him so, pointing to something in Scripture.  People like this believe the dinosaur bones were all placed in the Earth as a clever trick from Satan or something, I'm still not quite sure what the fairy tale is, but that isn't where the final straw broke.  I asked him who Adam and Eve's sons slept with to create more human beings, and he said the law against incest had not yet been written, so they had sex with Mom to start populating the planet.  I was in shock, but I didn't get mean, and when I tried to disagree, he promptly unfriended and blocked me right away.

So what do I really think about some of these extremely dumb traits of our extremely dumb world?  I actually don't blame most people.  Instead, I blame the puppet masters at the top: the politicians, the preachers, and the PR folk who make it all happen exactly as they want.  We live in a world in which massive amounts of good people are being brainwashed every single day, and they don't even realize it.  Their ignorance is their bliss and our dismay, and sadly, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

2 comments:

  1. When I got to the last emboldened word and it was "Brainwashing" I started reading back through all the emboldened words looking for some sort of secret message. Don't know how one should react to that XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a writer, that makes sense! I am all about that kind of trickery and symbolism in my writing, having learned enough of it from John Milton's Paradise Lost, but alas, I didn't do it this time. :)

      Delete