Thursday, March 19, 2015

Feeling Lenty

March 19, 2015
Day 323

Lent began on Ash Wednesday, February 18th this year, and it'll end at the stroke of midnight on Holy Saturday night, April 4th, so we're somewhere in the middle at this point. 

How much do I care about that?  Eh*.  I don't even celebrate Lent anymore.  I don't give anything up, fast on Fridays, or even attend church.  I'm what you'd call a lapsed Catholic, even though I haven't identified as Catholic in years (I'm sure I'll forever be counted in their numbers though).

BUT...I've learned you can take the boy out of the church, but never really take all the church out of the boy.  I still think about Lent during Lent, and I reflect on Jesus a lot on Good Friday and Easter Sunday.  The season always feels charged with change, possibility, and rebirth. 

So today, and this week overall, I'm feeling very Lenty, and I'm feeling the transition from 39 to 40 really starting to kick in as well.  If Lent commemorates Jesus's 40 days and 40 nights living in the desert before he began his ministry, this Sunday I'll be starting the last 40 days before I turn 40. 

Of course, none of that has to mean anything at all, but you know me by now: I genuinely like getting caught up in all my thoughts and feelings.  Sometimes it works quite well to my benefit, and life is more positively charged overall, and other times?  Well, other times I'm bit by the moody bug, and it takes me a few days to shake it off.

So yeah, Lenty.  I'm just feeling...Lenty.  I'm feeling the transition, the change, and the seasonal change too (spring begins tomorrow).  And change is good.  It keeps us in the flow, and the flow keeps on flowing, flowing, flowing all the time, no matter the season, or circumstance, or age.



*I always want to say meh, but I fear anyone born before 1990 has to tread carefully with that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment