Thursday, March 26, 2015

The story of the two monks by the river

March 26, 2015
Day 330

There's an ancient story that's been told many times, over and over throughout history, about two monks who were on a long journey together from one monastery to another.

They walked side by side in silence most of the time, reflecting on the beauty of nature and the mysteries of life.  At some point in the middle of this long trip, they came across a large river they realized they needed to cross.  But as they approached the river, they saw a young, beautiful woman who needed to get across too. 

The water there wasn't deep, but the crossing was treacherous, as the current was moving quickly, so one of the monks offered to carry this young woman across the river.  They all made it across safely, and then the woman went off in one direction, and the two monks in the other.

Three more hours passed in silence as the monks continued on their journey, when finally, the one monk stopped his brother angrily and said, "I cannot stay silent any longer.  Back there at the river, you held that beautiful woman in your arms and helped her across.  You let her wrap herself around you, and you felt her body press into yours.  What do you have to say for yourself?"

The second monk was surprised to hear this outburst, and genuinely upset to hear what had made his brother so angry.  "My dear brother," the second monk said, "Three hours have passed since I carried that woman across the river.  Have you been carrying her still, all this time?"

I think about this story quite often, and it helps me release the judgments and annoyances I experience each day.  Why did she yell at me?  Why did he cut me off?  Why did she look at me like that?  Why did he write me that nasty e-mail?  Why?  Why?  Why?  And then I remember the story of the two monks, and I realize I've been carrying short moments of time with me throughout my day, my week, and maybe even my whole life.  Instead of letting these moments pass me by naturally, I hold tightly to them, squeezing every last drop of spoiled juice from them until I'm satisfied.

"My dear brother, three hours have passed since I carried that woman across the river.  Have you been carrying her still, all this time?"

2 comments: