Friday, April 10, 2015

Unleashed


April 10, 2015
Day 345

I'll keep this one short because it's Friday, but also because I know my preaching posts don't always go over too well.  I no longer subscribe to any religion or church.  Though I still consider myself a Christian, and a Buddhist in some ways too, I'm more a fan of Jesus than a so-called Christian, and more a fan of Buddha than a so-called Buddhist. 

If Jesus had a "Lex Luthor" in his life, it was the Pharisees, the religious leaders of his day.  His greatest polar opposite was not Judas, Pilate, or even Lucifer.  No, his greatest battles were always fought with those representing the church of his day, the Pharisees.  They railed against Jesus, and even had him arrested because they hated how incendiary he was.

Why do I bring all this up...again?  Why do I insist on being downright incendiary at times?  Because I've been around for almost 40 years now, and I've seen a hell of a lot.  I've seen religion and religious people from every which angle.  I've been on the inside too, living as a monk and visiting with important Catholic Church leaders in their private residences in Rome.  And yes, I've met some very good people who are serving God happily and well from within the walls of religion. 

But I've also discovered how much more the soul comes alive when given the chance to run through the world without its leash on.  I've discovered how much more there is to see and learn in this beautiful world when you aren't just traveling around in the same tired old church van.  And I've discovered most of all that this is how it's supposed to be.  So go to the planetarium and watch the shows, learn what you can, and enjoy, but don't ever forget that there's a sky full of stars out there too, and sometimes you need to just lay down in the grass and look up to find answers on your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment